William Smith Statue

Wide view of the William Smith statue by Ted Aub, on the lawn between Smith Hall and Miller House. Click on image for larger view in new window.
Type: Officially Marked Monument Involved: Smith, William
Location: Off St. Clair Circle, on campus
Geneva, NY
Cause: Scientific Knowledge; Woman’s Rights / Suffrage

William Smith, founder of William Smith College for Women at Geneva, which first accepted students in 1908, is memorialized by a statue on campus near the hall that bears his name.

In 2008, during William Smith College centennial celebrations, a statue of Smith was unveiled. The sculptor was Ted Aub, a Hobart and William Smith Colleges art professor who also created the statue of Amelia Bloomer introducing Susan B. Anthony to Elizabeth Cady Stanton that stands on the shore of Van Cleef Lake in Seneca Falls, New York.