|Type:||Officially Marked Monument||Involved:||Stanton, Elizabeth Cady; Anthony, Susan B.|
|Location:||E Bayard Street and Spring Street, Seneca Falls, NY||Cause:||Woman's Rights / Suffrage|
This 1998 statue by sculptor Ted Aub depicts the first meeting of feminist activists Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. On May 12, 1851, after attending an antislavery lecture by William Lloyd Garrison, Anthony and Stanton were introduced on the streets of Seneca Falls, New York, by dress reformer Amelia Bloomer, thus forming part of the team that would later lead various women's rights organizations.
Bloomer lent her name to a mode of dress embraced by many nineteenth-century reformers. The garment, comprising a roughly knee-length skirt over pantaloons, was developed by Peterboro, New York, resident Elizabeth Smith Miller. The garments became known as "Bloomers" after Amelia Bloomer promoted the style in her periodical The Lily.
Working together and with Matilda Joslyn Gage, Anthony and Stanton played leading roles in the cause of woman suffrage. If not for the meeting this sculpture depicts, the Nineteenth Amendment giving women the vote might not have passed in 1920.